ADIMUS – Adaptive Internet Multimedia Streaming
ADIMUS – Adaptive Internet Multimedia Streaming
The ADIMUS project looks at streaming of multimedia on the Internet. We implement methods that adapt to service quality changes, in order to maximise the end-user's subjective experience. Adaptation mechanisms include QoS reservations, encoding schemes and parameters, and routing. The modeling of end-to-end service quality will be used in simulations and evaluations. Issues like inter-dependencies between media streams, special requirements for non-entertainment media streams (e.g., medical applications), and transmission technologies (e.g., wireless, peer-to-peer) will also be included in the research. The project involves four research institutions, NR, VTT, SICS, and Ifi/UiO. The project supports two PhD students, one located at NR and one located at VTT; expertise from researchers of NR, VTT, and SICS, and assistant professors at the Institute for Informatics at the University of Oslo.
ADIMUS is an academic research project with NR being the project coordinator. One of the PhD students is supervised at NR.
Benefit for customers
New knowledge about multimedia streaming in the future Internet using overlays and multi-access networks will have an impact on service providers in the Internet.
Benefit for society
Multimedia content can be accessed through multiple access networks, each of which is based on different technologies. The (mobile) user is connected to the network in an optimal manner with regard to financial cost and quality.
We developed an algorithm to allow the (mobile) user to switch between access networks in order to optimize the connection. The multimedia data are delivered over an overlay network, containing multiple senders and multiple recipients. The overlay network's nodes perform routing, transcoding, hand-over technologies, and other necessary operations, while the technology for low-level transmission may change from time to time. The final project report is available.
Latest project news
A best-paper award was given to Svetlana Boudko, Wolfgang Leister, and Stein Gjessing for the paper "Optimal Network Selection for Mobile Multicast Groups". the paper was presented at the ICSNC 2012 conference in Lisbon.
Updated date: Fredag, februar 8, 2013 - 10:02
- Leister, Wolfgang; Boudko, Svetlana; Røssvoll, Till Halbach (2011). Adaptive Video Streaming through Estimation of Subjective Video Quality. International Journal On Advances in Systems and Measurements. ISSN 1942-261X. 4(1&2)
- Boudko, Svetlana; Leister, Wolfgang; Gjessing, Stein. Exploring network selection techniques for multicast groups in heterogeneous wireless environments. International Journal of Pervasive Computing and Communications (ISSN 1742-7371). 10(1) pp 43-68. doi: 10.1108/IJPCC-01-2014-0014. 2014.
- Boudko, Svetlana; Leister, Wolfgang; Gjessing, Stein. Heterogeneous Wireless Network Selection: Load Balancing and Multicast Scenario. International Journal On Advances in Networks and Services (ISSN 1942-2644). 6(3&4) pp 118-135. 2013. Full-text
- Leister, Wolfgang; Boudko, Svetlana; Røssvoll, Till Halbach (2010). Estimation of Subjective Video Quality as Feedback to Content Providers. 5th International Conference on Systems and Networks Communications (ICSNC-2010), August 2010; this article received a best-paper award.
- Boudko, Svetlana; Leister, Wolfgang. Multicast Multiaccess Algorithm with Forward Error Correction for Mobile User. In: The 13th International Conference on Advances in Mobile Computing and Multimedia. (ISBN 978-1-4503-3493-8). pp 237-241. doi: 10.1145/2837126.2837179. 2015.
- Boudko, Svetlana; Leister, Wolfgang. Choosing Multicast Configuration with Forward Error Correction for Mobile Multiaccess Heterogeneous Users. In: ICSNC 2015, The Tenth International Conference on Systems and Networks Communications. (ISBN 978-1-61208-439-8). pp 47-50. 2015.
- Boudko, Svetlana; Leister, Wolfgang. Network Selection for Multicast Groups in Heterogeneous Wireless Environments. In: Proceedings of MoMM2013 (The 11th International Conference on Advances in Mobile Computing and Multimedia). (ISBN 978-1-4503-2106-8). pp 167-176. doi: 10.1145/2536853.2536871. 2013.
- Boudko, Svetlana; Leister, Wolfgang; Gjessing, Stein. Optimal Network Selection for Mobile Multicast Groups. In: ICSNC 2012 The Seventh International Conference on Systems and Networks Communications. (ISBN 978-1-61208-231-8). pp 224-227. 2012. Full-text
- Boudko, Svetlana; Leister, Wolfgang; Gjessing, Stein. Team Decision Approach for Decentralized Network Selection of Mobile Clients. In: Proceedings of 2012 5th Joint IFIP Wireless and Mobile Networking Conference. (ISBN 978-1-4673-2994-1). pp 88-94. 2012. Full-text
- Boudko, Svetlana; Leister, Wolfgang; Gjessing, Stein. Multicast Group Management for Users of Heterogeneous Wireless Networks. In: CONTENT 2012: The Fourth International Conference on Creative Content Technologies. (ISBN 978-1-61208-220-2). pp 24-27. 2012. Full-text Review
- Boudko, Svetlana; Leister, Wolfgang; Griwodz, Carsten; Halvorsen, Pål. Multipath Rate Allocation Algorithm for Overlay Networks with Feedback From Overlay Nodes. In: ITST-2011: 2011 11th International Conference on ITS Telecommunications. (ISBN 978-1-61284-670-5). pp 468-472. 2011. Review Full-text
- Boudko, Svetlana; Leister, Wolfgang; Halvorsen, Pål; Griwodz, Carsten. Maximizing video quality for several unicast streams in a multipath overlay network. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Internet Multimedia Systems Architecture and Application (IMSAA). (ISBN 978-1-4244-7931-3). 2010. Review